Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-08 19:04:00 <Andy S>
Hi all

I replaced the 7MGTE BOV with the Bosch BOV this
morning. Now the BOV sound is just a clear 'whooosh'
instead of a fluttery 'whooosh'.

Is the stock valve supposed to make that flutter noise
or does that mean it wasn't working properly anyway?

Cheers
Andy S

=====
Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz

Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Re: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-08 19:07:00 <Hunt M>
Hey
Don't know what the STD one is supposed to sound like but my dads bosch one
has quite a loud flutter....sounds nice :-)
is this normal?
Cully you had one before? do you still do?

> I replaced the 7MGTE BOV with the Bosch BOV this
> morning. Now the BOV sound is just a clear 'whooosh'
> instead of a fluttery 'whooosh'.
>
> Is the stock valve supposed to make that flutter noise
> or does that mean it wasn't working properly anyway?
>
> Cheers
> Andy S
>
> =====
> Visit my website http://andy.supras.org.nz
>
> Home of the 5MGE-->7MGTE conversion!

> http://taxes.yahoo.com/

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-10 08:39:00 <Cully Paterson>

> I replaced the 7MGTE BOV with the Bosch BOV this
> morning. Now the BOV sound is just a clear 'whooosh'
> instead of a fluttery 'whooosh'.
> Is the stock valve supposed to make that flutter noise
> or does that mean it wasn't working properly anyway?

It's not the valve that makes the noise, it's the compressor on the turbo stalling. This is because the stock BOV doesn't vent enough pressure, whereas the Bosch does, so no stall.

Rob, you'll stil get flutter as the T04 wheel reintroduces this problem with the extra flow it develops. I get massive compressor flutter on my setup.

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-10 10:57:00 <Parts Imports>
So aftermarket atmosphere vent is the answer ??

Jason

> I replaced the 7MGTE BOV with the Bosch BOV this
> morning. Now the BOV sound is just a clear 'whooosh'
> instead of a fluttery 'whooosh'.
> Is the stock valve supposed to make that flutter noise
> or does that mean it wasn't working properly anyway?

It's not the valve that makes the noise, it's the compressor on the turbo
stalling. This is because the stock BOV doesn't vent enough pressure,
whereas the Bosch does, so no stall.

Rob, you'll stil get flutter as the T04 wheel reintroduces this problem with
the extra flow it develops. I get massive compressor flutter on my setup.

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-10 10:59:00 <Cully Paterson>

> So aftermarket atmosphere vent is the answer ??

No. It's not the air venting back into the intake that causes the flutter - it's the air getting backed up from the closed throttle plate all the way through the intercooler to the high-pressure side of the compressor that causes it. A bigger BOV will solve (most of) the problem yes, atmospheric dump is irrelevant.

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-10 11:05:00 <Stuart W>
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:59, you wrote:
> > So aftermarket atmosphere vent is the answer ??
>
> No. It's not the air venting back into the intake that causes the flutter
> - it's the air getting backed up from the closed throttle plate all the way
> through the intercooler to the high-pressure side of the compressor that
> causes it. A bigger BOV will solve (most of) the problem yes, atmospheric
> dump is irrelevant.

One thing people should keep in mind is the loud 'pissshh' sound currently
'fashionable' in venting BOV's is made by firstly NOT opening the BOV fast
enough forcing a good amount of pressure to develop, and then not opening it
particularly wide, so the pressure escapes over a reasonable time.
They do this by opening based on pressure AND manifold vacumme, not just
vacumme, which is BAD.
REAL racing BOV's open in a series of 'bang' sounds as they very pressure VERY
fast, but that wouldn't sounds as 'cool'...

Stuart W.

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-10 11:51:00 <marc.a@...>

I think you'll find the rationale is 'it costs $$$' and/or it's a {any-crap-
noisy-BOV-aftermarket-mfgr-here} shiny BOV with 500HP sticker, so it *must* be
good.

- Marc

> One thing people should keep in mind is the loud 'pissshh' sound
> currently
> 'fashionable' in venting BOV's is made by firstly NOT opening the BOV
> fast
> enough forcing a good amount of pressure to develop, and then not
> opening it
> particularly wide, so the pressure escapes over a reasonable time.
> They do this by opening based on pressure AND manifold vacumme, not just
>
> vacumme, which is BAD.
> REAL racing BOV's open in a series of 'bang' sounds as they very
> pressure VERY
> fast, but that wouldn't sounds as 'cool'...
>
> Stuart W.

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-10 13:55:00 <Hunt M>
My dad has his boost gauge before the throttle body and therefore it shows
the spike of boost when changing gear and it flutters....kinda looks like a
spike when the BOV opens then closes etc etc.....
I must try this on my car as I have NO BOV at all!! I'd love to see the
spike in mine hahah I have noticed that when it's really cold when I change
gear without boosting hard core but enough there is a slight pssshhhh
sound....sounds like a subtle internally venting BOV but I dont have
one.....is a little wierd as i would've thought it would make more of a
flutter sound....

hunt

> I replaced the 7MGTE BOV with the Bosch BOV this
> morning. Now the BOV sound is just a clear 'whooosh'
> instead of a fluttery 'whooosh'.
> Is the stock valve supposed to make that flutter noise
> or does that mean it wasn't working properly anyway?

It's not the valve that makes the noise, it's the compressor on the turbo
stalling. This is because the stock BOV doesn't vent enough pressure,
whereas the Bosch does, so no stall.

Rob, you'll stil get flutter as the T04 wheel reintroduces this problem with
the extra flow it develops. I get massive compressor flutter on my setup.

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-10 18:03:00 <Grant Brunton>
My auto 1G-GTE has no blow off valve but I can hear the turbos winding down
back through air filter. It's pretty fluttery most of the time so would
that mean if I had a blow off valve it would stop the compressor stalling?

I know that a blow off valve is not really that important with an auto but
would it make any difference by stopping the compressor from stalling?

cheers
Grant

>From: "Cully Paterson" <Cully@turbo.co.nz>
>Subject: [sconz] RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter
>Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:38:48 +1300
>

> > I replaced the 7MGTE BOV with the Bosch BOV this
> > morning. Now the BOV sound is just a clear 'whooosh'
> > instead of a fluttery 'whooosh'.
> > Is the stock valve supposed to make that flutter noise
> > or does that mean it wasn't working properly anyway?
>
>It's not the valve that makes the noise, it's the compressor on the turbo
>stalling. This is because the stock BOV doesn't vent enough pressure,
>whereas the Bosch does, so no stall.
>
>Rob, you'll stil get flutter as the T04 wheel reintroduces this problem
>with the extra flow it develops. I get massive compressor flutter on my
>setup.
>
>Cully

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-10 18:16:00 <Hunt M>
I can hear my turbos through the air filter and well basically just hear
them winding up.They are very very loud and produce a really strong
whine....sounds really nice...other people find it annoying but me and my
g/f like it so thats fine hehe
Even without a BOV there is almost no lag between gears and you can hear the
turbos wind up when accelerating then between gears still hear them spinning
pretty dam quick and then whooosh boosting hard again into the next
gear....love the feel of a turbo'd supra!! ;-)

hunt

> My auto 1G-GTE has no blow off valve but I can hear the turbos winding
down
> back through air filter. It's pretty fluttery most of the time so would
> that mean if I had a blow off valve it would stop the compressor stalling?
>
> I know that a blow off valve is not really that important with an auto but
> would it make any difference by stopping the compressor from stalling?
>
> cheers
> Grant
>
> >From: "Cully Paterson" <Cully@turbo.co.nz>
> >Subject: [sconz] RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter
> >Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:38:48 +1300
> >

> > > I replaced the 7MGTE BOV with the Bosch BOV this
> > > morning. Now the BOV sound is just a clear 'whooosh'
> > > instead of a fluttery 'whooosh'.
> > > Is the stock valve supposed to make that flutter noise
> > > or does that mean it wasn't working properly anyway?
> >
> >It's not the valve that makes the noise, it's the compressor on the turbo
> >stalling. This is because the stock BOV doesn't vent enough pressure,
> >whereas the Bosch does, so no stall.
> >
> >Rob, you'll stil get flutter as the T04 wheel reintroduces this problem
> >with the extra flow it develops. I get massive compressor flutter on my
> >setup.
> >
> >Cully
> >
> >---
> >Supra Club of New Zealand
> >http://www.supras.org.nz/

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-10 18:19:00 <Grant Brunton>
>love the feel of a turbo'd supra!! ;-)
>
>hunt

AMEN!!!

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-11 17:35:00 <J Walker>
I've got a Blitz BOV, same as this one http://www.gamester.net/david/sept3/sept320.jpg
It's loud as hell, in fact, it's sometimes insanely loud. It doesn't always work properly (in that sometimes it clearly honks out, and sometimes it makes little noise, and the turbos make a sort of twittering sound). It's disturbing....Is the Bosch plumb back good for 15PSI? I just thought they look pretty plastic and might be prone to breaking? 80 buck, to recondition the Blitz one (I forgot to mention, it leaks like f**K) if you put your finger inside the opening (pardon) and push gently on the piston at the edge you can hear air leaking into the intake. This means that boost is leaking. I think it's borewashed, because it uses a lot of oil now and would have been running rich (due to another leak I only just discovered). Anyone got any ideas?

jonathan

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-11 17:46:00 <marc.a@...>
> I've got a Blitz BOV, same as this one

My condolences :)

>> sometimes it makes little noise, and the turbos make a sort of

To state the obvious, you're loosing power.

> twittering sound). It's disturbing....Is the Bosch plumb back good for
> 15PSI? I just thought they look pretty plastic and might be prone to

My 2.0TT was running 15PSI with a Bosch BOV. (Was me who hacked up the first
bosch 2.0TT wayyy back) Ran 3yr with this config. Spoke with the (now ex)
owner of it a while back - apparently it did fail and was replaced at around 5
y/o.

> breaking? 80 buck, to recondition the Blitz one (I forgot to mention, it
> leaks like f**K) if you put your finger inside the opening (pardon) and
> push gently on the piston at the edge you can hear air leaking into the
> intake. This means that boost is leaking. I think it's borewashed,
> because it uses a lot of oil now and would have been running rich (due
> to another leak I only just discovered). Anyone got any ideas?

Yep - replace it with a reliable rerouter.

> jonathan

RE: Bosch BOV vs stock - No more flutter   2003-03-11 17:47:00 <Stuart W>
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:32, you wrote:
> I've got a Blitz BOV, same as this one
> http://www.gamester.net/david/sept3/sept320.jpg It's loud as hell, in fact,
> it's sometimes insanely loud. It doesn't always work properly (in that
> sometimes it clearly honks out, and sometimes it makes little noise, and
> the turbos make a sort of twittering sound). It's disturbing....Is the
> Bosch plumb back good for 15PSI? I just thought they look pretty plastic
> and might be prone to breaking? 80 buck, to recondition the Blitz one (I
> forgot to mention, it leaks like f**K) if you put your finger inside the
> opening (pardon) and push gently on the piston at the edge you can hear air
> leaking into the intake. This means that boost is leaking. I think it's
> borewashed, because it uses a lot of oil now and would have been running
> rich (due to another leak I only just discovered). Anyone got any ideas?

put in a bosch, get it the right way around, and it will have NO trouble with
15PSI. it will need to re-route back into the intake AFTER any AFM but before
the turbo, and the 'pressure' side of the BOV should be at the end close to
the small control port.

the blitz can probably be fixed up without too much trouble (I bet it just
needs a clean and a new seal) - but it will never work correctly - only use
it if the sound is what you need.

of course, those of us without AFM's (MAP 1jz/2jz cars :) could run the blitz
simply, but I don't bother with the 1jz, as the stock re-routing setup is
fine anyway!

Stuart W.