Gearbox required...   2003-03-14 19:58:00 <Stuart W>

Well, anyone for a tale of woe??

last night I decided to check the fluid level in the auto of my jza70 supra,
and it measured a bit low, so I added about 100ml of dextron-III, seems like
a sensible idea at the time.

today my auto did the following.
1 - over about 3 uses of reverse I totally lost use of reverse
2 - the gearbox is slipping like hell at cruise and no lockup on the torque
converter
3 - auto getting VERY hot.
4 - after draining and replacing fluid, removing sump, cleaning filter,
replacing sump and filling AGAIN with new fluid, no improvement.

so, I'm now wondering if anyone (Jason??) as a price for a A342E auto for a
JZA70 supra. If the price is reasonable I think I'd rather swap in out than
wait for a rebuild, if one is available..

Anyone??

PS:this goes to prove Tonies theory that you can only ever mainting one
running car, as I've just got my jag going again :(

Stuart W.

Re: Gearbox required...   2003-03-15 10:01:00 <Parts Imports>
Sorry can only supply 30-40e type
[...]

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-16 09:00:00 <Nick Little>
Ah bugger...

See if you can beat the $3K rebuild of the Luxobarge 735...

Cheers,
Nick.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-16 14:27:00 <adi>

The A342E uses type TII or type TIV, not dex III, sounds like you've
killed it.

See if you can beat the $3K rebuild of the Luxobarge 735...

Cheers,
Nick.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-16 14:53:00 <Stuart W>
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 08:56, you wrote:
> Ah bugger...
>
> See if you can beat the $3K rebuild of the Luxobarge 735...

Current quotes should make than no problem :(

however I've yet to talk to anyone I would actually do business for..

Stuart.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-16 14:57:00 <Stuart W>
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:23, you wrote:
> The A342E uses type TII or type TIV, not dex III, sounds like you've
> killed it.

I suggest reading the specs some time, type III is 100% compatible with type
II (and also has run fine for the last 5 years or so!)

I suspect a slight overfilling leading to foaming in the fluid jaming a valve
half way maybe.
interestingly a couple of years back my current flat mate has an A340E fail
EXACTLY the same, also quite quickly, maybe this is a weakness on the boxes -
pays to check that level VERY carefully.

current gear operation is no reverse, 10% fourth, 50% third, and 100% first
and second (first and second are perfect, and happily squeel the tyres..)

burned out clutch...

Stuart.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-16 15:28:00 <Marc Archbold>
Interesting link: http://www.planetsoarer.com/autotrans/autotrans.htm
T-IV resolved a shudder my a340e 1UZ soarer had....

> The A342E uses type TII or type TIV, not dex III, sounds like you've
> killed it.

I suggest reading the specs some time, type III is 100% compatible with type
II (and also has run fine for the last 5 years or so!)

I suspect a slight overfilling leading to foaming in the fluid jaming a
valve
half way maybe.
interestingly a couple of years back my current flat mate has an A340E fail
EXACTLY the same, also quite quickly, maybe this is a weakness on the
boxes -
pays to check that level VERY carefully.

current gear operation is no reverse, 10% fourth, 50% third, and 100% first
and second (first and second are perfect, and happily squeel the tyres..)

burned out clutch...

Stuart.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-16 16:22:00 <Stuart W>
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:25, you wrote:
> Interesting link: http://www.planetsoarer.com/autotrans/autotrans.htm
> T-IV resolved a shudder my a340e 1UZ soarer had....

yep, type-4 is a longer life, fully synthetic ATF, VERY good stuff, with a
very long service life, some US car manufacturers use this in (suitably
designed) manual transmissions that have a LIFETIME fluid life, ie: you are
not supposed to ever replace it.

of course, this is not to say they are doing something sensible by that.

Dextron-IV is VERY good stuff, but overkill in a lot of situations.
Dextron-III is a semi-synthetic blend with a higher film strength and better
cleaning requirements than Dextron-II, also higher temp I believe.

Stuart W.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-16 21:58:00 <Rob M>
So is type 4 good for a R 154 manual. Currently have Redline?.
> T-IV resolved a shudder my a340e 1UZ soarer had....

yep, type-4 is a longer life, fully synthetic ATF, VERY good stuff, with a
very long service life, some US car manufacturers use this in (suitably
designed) manual transmissions that have a LIFETIME fluid life, ie: you are
not supposed to ever replace it.

of course, this is not to say they are doing something sensible by that.

Dextron-IV is VERY good stuff, but overkill in a lot of situations.
Dextron-III is a semi-synthetic blend with a higher film strength and better
cleaning requirements than Dextron-II, also higher temp I believe.

Stuart W.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-16 22:10:00 <Stuart W>
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:55, you wrote:
> So is type 4 good for a R 154 manual. Currently have Redline?.

it depends,

The general logic (feel free to comment on this tony) is that you can get
lower internal losses (lower friction) and arguably lower wear in a manual
gearbox by running AFT, or an ATF/gear oil blend, however it WILL make the
gearbox change 'notchier' and less smooth.
ATF is a VERY good lubracant with VERY high pressure capabilities, and
automatics are a very challenging application for an oil, however they don't
give you quite the cushoning ewffect that 80/90 gear oil does.

I personally have run a 50/50 mix of 80/90 and ATF in my R154, and in my
NSR250 bike, and have since changed to mainly 80/90 in the R154 purely
because I had to fill it again and that's what went in, it's not noticably
different with either. (the NSR loves ATF since it is a wet clutch system,
clutch in the 'sump' with the gears... and ATF is a lot better for letting
friction material do it's job, being thinner).

I suspect *Dexron* (tony corrected me before, for some reason I had dextron on
my mind today..) 4 fluid is better than almost all 80/90 gear oil, and should
be lower loss with a higher film strength, I personally would be happy
running it, BUT IT IS NOT IN SPEC, so it's certainly a personal judgement -
do some research on the net... should not be a hard area to find more
details..

Stuart W.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-17 10:20:00 <Hunt M>
I'm running ATF in my W58....cant member the brand though (cheapish one I
believe but not too cheap) but yes it does make the gearbox a little notchy
and 2nd gear is a little dodgy when trying to change from 1st
quickly.....and it makes the gearbox a little noisier.....but sounds kinda
nice....not quite a straight cut gear sound but still a nice sound :-)
How often should the oil be changed? I've had this oil in since I did the
engine swap and have done about 10,000 on it since late november.

> So is type 4 good for a R 154 manual. Currently have Redline?.

it depends,

The general logic (feel free to comment on this tony) is that you can get
lower internal losses (lower friction) and arguably lower wear in a manual
gearbox by running AFT, or an ATF/gear oil blend, however it WILL make the
gearbox change 'notchier' and less smooth.
ATF is a VERY good lubracant with VERY high pressure capabilities, and
automatics are a very challenging application for an oil, however they don't
give you quite the cushoning ewffect that 80/90 gear oil does.

I personally have run a 50/50 mix of 80/90 and ATF in my R154, and in my
NSR250 bike, and have since changed to mainly 80/90 in the R154 purely
because I had to fill it again and that's what went in, it's not noticably
different with either. (the NSR loves ATF since it is a wet clutch system,
clutch in the 'sump' with the gears... and ATF is a lot better for letting
friction material do it's job, being thinner).

I suspect *Dexron* (tony corrected me before, for some reason I had dextron
on
my mind today..) 4 fluid is better than almost all 80/90 gear oil, and
should
be lower loss with a higher film strength, I personally would be happy
running it, BUT IT IS NOT IN SPEC, so it's certainly a personal judgement -
do some research on the net... should not be a hard area to find more
details..

Stuart W.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-17 20:49:00 <J Walker>
Just my 2c, but I've used quite a few different grades and types of gear oil in my w58 transmissions, and one thing I'll swear on is that no gear oil has ever performed as good a Redline MTL. I've pulled plugs on my w58's running Castrol fully synthetic MTL, and found many a filing on the magnet...last time i changed my redline out, there was "not a bloody thing" on the magnet, of course I hadn't ever crashed it into gear since I put redline in it, because no matter what (even after the beating this gearbox has taken in it's lifetime), it always always went through 1st > 2nd even at 7300 revs smooth as a hot knife through butter! I'll never use anything else.
> So is type 4 good for a R 154 manual. Currently have Redline?.

it depends,

The general logic (feel free to comment on this tony) is that you can get
lower internal losses (lower friction) and arguably lower wear in a manual
gearbox by running AFT, or an ATF/gear oil blend, however it WILL make the
gearbox change 'notchier' and less smooth.
ATF is a VERY good lubracant with VERY high pressure capabilities, and
automatics are a very challenging application for an oil, however they don't
give you quite the cushoning ewffect that 80/90 gear oil does.

I personally have run a 50/50 mix of 80/90 and ATF in my R154, and in my
NSR250 bike, and have since changed to mainly 80/90 in the R154 purely
because I had to fill it again and that's what went in, it's not noticably
different with either. (the NSR loves ATF since it is a wet clutch system,
clutch in the 'sump' with the gears... and ATF is a lot better for letting
friction material do it's job, being thinner).

I suspect *Dexron* (tony corrected me before, for some reason I had dextron on
my mind today..) 4 fluid is better than almost all 80/90 gear oil, and should
be lower loss with a higher film strength, I personally would be happy
running it, BUT IT IS NOT IN SPEC, so it's certainly a personal judgement -
do some research on the net... should not be a hard area to find more
details..

Stuart W.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-17 21:28:00 <Rob M>
Seems the w58 is a smoother box than 154. Using even Redline in 154 doesn't
produce a box that's like a hot knife through butter. But I guess you won't
break it in a hurry.
Rob M.
> So is type 4 good for a R 154 manual. Currently have Redline?.

it depends,

The general logic (feel free to comment on this tony) is that you can get
lower internal losses (lower friction) and arguably lower wear in a manual
gearbox by running AFT, or an ATF/gear oil blend, however it WILL make the
gearbox change 'notchier' and less smooth.
ATF is a VERY good lubracant with VERY high pressure capabilities, and
automatics are a very challenging application for an oil, however they
don't
give you quite the cushoning ewffect that 80/90 gear oil does.

I personally have run a 50/50 mix of 80/90 and ATF in my R154, and in my
NSR250 bike, and have since changed to mainly 80/90 in the R154 purely
because I had to fill it again and that's what went in, it's not noticably
different with either. (the NSR loves ATF since it is a wet clutch system,
clutch in the 'sump' with the gears... and ATF is a lot better for letting
friction material do it's job, being thinner).

I suspect *Dexron* (tony corrected me before, for some reason I had
dextron on
my mind today..) 4 fluid is better than almost all 80/90 gear oil, and
should
be lower loss with a higher film strength, I personally would be happy
running it, BUT IT IS NOT IN SPEC, so it's certainly a personal
judgement -
do some research on the net... should not be a hard area to find more
details..

Stuart W.

RE: Gearbox required...   2003-03-17 21:59:00 <J Walker>
dont be so sure ;)