anybody painted thr car???doing tonight in chch urgernt answer req.   2003-03-21 18:05:00 <tigermoth_ii@...>
just wondering if there is anything to worry about when taking doors,hood,boot and pop up and rear lights off before painting?
anybody done this before?
I have 1986.5 2.0LTT.

cheers,
Ian.

Re: anybody painted thr car???doing tonight in chch urgernt answer req.   2003-03-21 18:55:00 <Hunt M>
Haven't done it YET but need to do my front gaurds, bonnet and bumper so
when all done tell us if there were any hick-ups :-)
hope all goes well!

From: <tigermoth_ii@hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 6:01 PM
Subject: [sconz] anybody painted thr car???doing tonight in chch urgernt
answer req.

> just wondering if there is anything to worry about when taking
doors,hood,boot and pop up and rear lights off before painting?
> anybody done this before?
> I have 1986.5 2.0LTT.
>
> cheers,
> Ian.

Re: anybody painted thr car???doing tonight in chch urgernt answer req.   2003-03-22 01:38:00 <tigermoth_ii@...>
dont know if we did it right but OMFG what a complete arse toyota are they couldnt have made it harder if they tried, well maybe a little heh heh.
first we took off the hood absolutly no problems there but definetly a 2 ppl job.
then we moved to the boot and tail lights... just bear this in mind now heh to remove the rear hatch requires almost undoing all the trim in the whole dam car just to get the brake light wires out plus the rear seat belts must be undone as well above which the clips are located.especisly hard when you dont have a 19MM socket. then all the bolts for the tail lights are in a rubber twisted arm position only contortionist's can reach.
now for the grand finally..........
the DOORS dun dun daaaaa.
without a doubt the sigle biggest bitch toyota have ever dreamed off, x2 no less. while un doing the bolts and removing the pins is no problem, to remove the doors requires that the wires be pulled throught the door hatch hole.the god dam wires are almost imposible to get. to reach them you have to pull all the triming around the pedals and passenger side respectivly off then there are too clips in the most unreachable position imaginable.
the driver side ones are not too bad after about 1 hr of pissing around tring to find the right 2. but the passenger side are imposible,first after removing the trim you must un bolt the cars cpu (im guessing thats what it was) thus exposing the clips but they are different clips one is big like the driver side but the other is this tiny little one that is completly different to the rest and after 2 hrs of pissing around to this point i decide to get very angry with this puny clip and preceded to attack the said clip with a flat heat screw driver completly destroying the clips locking mechanisim to this moment i still have no clue as to how it works.
thus ending the mission that was to paint the interior of the car.
cant wait for sunday, of which to put it back together again which will defintly require at the very minimun 3 ppl.and im sure a lot more painful as i have to try and put the clips and bolts back again.
now i'm sure there was a very easy way to do all this but hey i had no clue what was behind any of the trim or how to do any of the above.
the only advise i can give is if you need to paint your car leave the interior alone its not worth it.and if you must get ahold me and i will help you as much i can.if anyone knows of an easy way to do any of this than please let me know
sorry to rant so much,i am very tired now.
Ian.
also i accidently pulled the cpu clip and now when i start the car it revs up to 2000 revs. does my cpu have to be reset?

still will look good in the end ay????????

Re: anybody painted thr car???doing tonight in chch urgernt answer req.   2003-03-22 22:48:00 <morekarma@...>
If the little japanese prats that built these cars realised what dramas we have to go through to service/maintain them they might have thought twice.
Your situation is par-for-course, typical of the way they like to make our lives hell.
A friend recently did an engine swap. Car is a 1992 GA70 with a
1G-GTE. In with the replacement engine which was from a 1990 GA70. Everything fits, bolts up etc, but when it came to plugging up the loom, 2 or 3 plugs were different. Same wires, same number of plugs, same colours, but different design of plug.
Just to piss you off.

And even then they can't standardise on ONE type of plug removal system. Some plugs you have to push the plastic tab, some you have to pull it, others require you to insert the end of a screwdriver into the body to push on a plastic tab, the list goes on.
WHY couldn't they have just made ONE type of plug, and simply had different colours to identify them?

Then there's the issue of bolt tightness. Seems like every bolt that has never been undone since the car was built is torqued up to 50,000 ft lbs, and then another half turn for good measure.
I realise that cars have to be assembled on assembly lines with machines and air tools, but surely they could go a little easy on the torque specs.

I have the same gripe with tyre dealers that insist on using rattle guns to change wheels and wind them up so damn tight you need two people to undo the nuts. It's totally unnecessary, and puts a lot of stress on the studs. I wonder how women get on when they have a flat tyre. I suppose they get us guys to help them. But then I've had wheels recently that I was unable to loosen the nuts on after they had been changed by a tyre outfit.

Finally, car designers that put things in STUPID places. After having changed the oil in my car this afternoon I think the placement of the oil filter would win first prize in the "Let's find the most bastard place to put a part" contest.
Tried to loosen the filter by hand - no go. Not easy to get one's hand up under the filter to start with, and that's with the front of the car jacked up.
Grab screwdriver and lever the side of the filter with the screwdriver against the crossmember.
Filter undoes - yippee yahoo.
Drop filter down, expecting to take it out underneath - no such luck. Space between crossmember, sump etc is too small.
Try to get hand down past turbo - space tight but just manage. Grab filter, raise up but cannot get it past the turbo.
See gap over top of the engine mount - move filter sideways over it and try to lift it up - space still too small - only way from here is down now - so drop filter and it bounces, lands in the tray full of used oil, hits the bottom, bounces out and takes a tidal wave of oil with it all over the drive.

I think that's enough griping for one night....

Re: anybody painted thr car???doing tonight in chch urgernt answer req.   2003-03-22 23:59:00 <Marc Archbold>
> Finally, car designers that put things in STUPID places. After having
changed the oil in my car this afternoon I think the placement of the oil
filter would win first prize in the "Let's find the most bastard place to
put a part" contest.

The JZ series wins that one - by far! The easiest filter replacement I had
between the JZA70, GA60 and UZZ31 was the UZZ (v8 Soarer)

-Marc

Re: anybody painted thr car???doing tonight in chch urgernt answer req.   2003-03-23 01:17:00 <tigermoth_ii@...>
same on the 1g-gte took two of us to get it out with our fingertips and thats with the car jacked and half the skid plate undone and of course said filter has to be droped into old oil to spill everywhere.
also dont bother buying a filter tool to remove it because there is no way hell you gonna fit it in there.........
still dam fine looking car in the end ay????????
worth the trouble though?

Re: anybody painted thr car???doing tonight in chch urgernt answer req.   2003-03-25 21:57:00 <Grant Brunton>
I managed to get mine out ok with a filter spanner. Was kinda hard to get
the spanner to lock around it but managed to get it in alright.
Was on a 1g-gte, though made it easy parking so the front wheels were on the
lip of a big drop and could get under easy