V1 - Stolen   2003-03-30 07:02:00 <Marc Archbold>
Guys - had another V1 stolen yesterday. This time from Riccarton Mall top
car park, the idiot smashed the front drivers window.
Unbelievable, this was at 4pm during a very busy time - the place was
packed. You would think someone would have seen this
take place.

As usual the police are not interested in the slightest.

The serial number of the unit is:7308910645.

- Marc

re: V1 - Stolen   2003-03-30 18:18:00 <powens@...>
Real sorry to hear about this.

For the benefit of security for others please say whether you had an alarm fitted or steering wheel club in place.

Pete

re: V1 - Stolen   2003-03-30 18:50:00 <Marc Archbold>
> For the benefit of security for others please say whether you had an alarm
fitted or steering wheel club in place.

It was not my Supra, it was a 2001 Hatch Civic - these are fitted with an
engine immobiliser utilising a coded 'rf key' in the Key head.
My Supra is fitted with a good alarm, immobiliser and 2-stage Microwave
(perimeter) sensor, howver I would assume that even this security would not
have prevented this thieft. They were quick, just like last time when it
was stolen within work's complex. (ie, private, right outside office door,
17:00hrs.)

After the last thieft the V1 is usually taken down on parking, but not this
time dammit.

BTW the Riccarton Mall Security is inept. A joke to say the least.

- Marc

> Pete

re: V1 - Stolen   2003-03-31 10:15:00 <Peter O>
Marc,

Thanks for the detailed info, I guess we should all be very concerned at the apparent ease with which our vehicles are nicked.
This looks like an opportunist theft although it's possible a professional gang is involved operating from this & other poorly monitored sites.

I initially assumed this theft was accomplished by breaking a window or doorlock & then forcing the ignition lock; but I realise the immobiliser should have prevented that.
Does anyone know how such security devices are so easily breached?

My vehicle is alarmed but I have no confidence this is anything but a "first deterrent".
Not too long ago my son's car was legitimately towed home. The tow company simply ignored the alarm but were not questioned by anyone as they towed the vehicle thro Auckland city alarm blaring away. They told me they do it all the time & are never questioned.

I think a good steering wheel lock may be a far better deterrent at least to quick thefts.

Pete

> For the benefit of security for others please say whether you had an alarm
fitted or steering wheel club in place.

It was not my Supra, it was a 2001 Hatch Civic - these are fitted with an
engine immobiliser utilising a coded 'rf key' in the Key head.
My Supra is fitted with a good alarm, immobiliser and 2-stage Microwave
(perimeter) sensor, howver I would assume that even this security would not
have prevented this thieft. They were quick, just like last time when it
was stolen within work's complex. (ie, private, right outside office door,
17:00hrs.)

After the last thieft the V1 is usually taken down on parking, but not this
time dammit.

BTW the Riccarton Mall Security is inept. A joke to say the least.

- Marc

> Pete

re: V1 - Stolen   2003-03-31 18:25:00 <Marc Archbold>

Thanks for your feeback Pete.

I should point out that it was a new Valentine One, not the car that was
stolen. No attempt was made to steal the car (and you'd have to have
incredibly bad taste in cars to want to steal an '01 Honda Civic - IMHO :)

On that note, Honda New Zealand do NOT have a drivers window in the
country - *four* week lead ex-japan. Quite outrageous given that its a NZ
New Vehicle.
Then there is my collegue's Civic which has developed a fault wherby it
drains the battery, honda have had four attempts.....